Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Novel Experiences

I had to look up the word “novel” to be sure I was using it correctly, and I was actually spot on as it means, “new,  first-of-a kind, unusual.”  We did have a few of those kind of experiences this past week.  The truth of the matter is that I don’t have time to do this update.  I am supposed to be doing a LOT of preliminary research to take advantage of this next week where Jim and I will be at the Family History Library in Salt Lake.  We leave late Thursday night (for me) or early Friday morning (for Jim).  He goes to bed, I stay up and finish packing.  We are taking Aubrey to Rexburg on our way, and will have the novel experience of staying overnight with a married son and his wife.  Ah – the arrival of in-laws.  Saturday afternoon we will drive over to Salt Lake and check into “The Kimball” for a week.  I love the location:  Right across from the conference center and a wonderful walk through temple square to the Family History Library—a 30-second walk to the Salt Lake Temple depending on the heels I’m wearing, and a great uphill hike to the State Capitol at night for some exercise.  The best part of this whole experience is that I get my husband all to myself—well, sharing him with our dead people doesn’t count. 

Last week Jim had one of these novel experiences I mentioned.  He had his first colonoscopy BECAUSE  he is such a good guy and listened to his doctor when he had his physical. (I don’t know if you can catch an undercurrent here, but there certainly is one.)  The three days prior to the procedure weren’t very fun and the closer it got, the less fun it got.  The upside of the whole thing was that they found three polyps in his colon that they were able to remove.  One was substantial.  Within three to four years, the doctor told him they most likely would have become tumors and could’ve become cancerous.  My dear husband now has a tattoo.  They marked the spot of the biggest polyp they removed to check it in five years.

Saturday morning he and I went shopping for groceries and while we were out, we got a couple things for Nathan’s birthday coming up that are at the very top of his list of favorite things in life.  We got home and we usually enlist the troops to help us carry everything into the house and put it away.  Because we used our $300 in rebate checks from Costco and American Express while we were there, we beefed up our year’s supply and had quite a trunk and back seat full of stuff.  We decided to be tricky and hide Nathan’s stuff behind the gate and come back for it later so that Nathan wouldn’t see it.  Well, we forgot about it.  (Not a novel experience).  We  later sent Devin and Nate out to rake up the dead moss.  They went out on the back deck and down to the shed to get the rakes and then up the steep side hill to the front yard.  As they walked up the hill, Nathan asks, “What is that pile of stuff?”  Oh well.

DSC_0297

That was the first birthday surprise that was no more.  The next one occurred later that afternoon and sad to say, could no longer be called a novel experience.  Darren and Richelle had left a little birthday surprise on top of the fridge for Nathan, and I think I told Darren I would wrap it up better and hide  it somewhere.  Well, I forgot.  Nathan found that too.

Everyone had been unloading the car and supposedly it was all unloaded.  Just to be sure there were no frozen turkeys hiding out there (which would not have been a novel experience as we left one in the back seat overnight last Thanksgiving – thank goodness it was below freezing out there) I went to check the car.  This is what I found when I opened the trunk.  Most unusual.

DSC_0283

Sunday morning, Marci and Jamie performed a special number in the big Lutheran Church in town  Jim and I wanted to be there as they played in a flute trio with the daughter of the two pastors (husband and wife team) there.  This whole experience was definitely NOVEL in all senses of the word.  We were given a program when we walked in.  I call it a script.  Everything that the pastors would say, and how the audience would respond was there for you to follow as you participated.  I have included the front page of the booklet.  There  is a key at the bottom to tell you who says what in the worship service.

Scan_Pic0031

Scan_Pic0032

An uncomfortable part of this novel experience was walking into the chapel and being the absolutely ONLY ones in shirt and tie and dresses.  There was no prelude until 3 minutes till the meeting started and then a man sat at the piano and played “Ode to Joy” which started out soft and prelude-ish and ending up as a masterpiece performance with chords crashing all over the piano.  The lady pastor then came out with one of those head microphones in a long white robe and said just what is on the program.  And we all said just what is on the program.  I can’t believe at my age, this is the first time I have ever attended another church.  I wish I would’ve done it sooner.  And, by the way, the flute trio was beautiful -- “Sheep May Safely Graze.”  So strange to have the congregation clap when the song was over.

Sunday night Jim wanted me to go with him to a Regional Single Adult Fireside hosted by our stake at our stake center.  We had just fed the missionaries and they had given us their message and so we were running late and arrived at 7 p.m. when it was supposed to start.  Just as we walked in, the lady in charge who was at the back of the chapel saw me, grabbed me by my sleeve and said, “She plays the piano.”  A room totally full of adults and no piano player?  They sent me up front and as they scurried around to finish getting everything ready, I played prelude till it started, (no masterpieces – sorry) and then their opening and closing hymns.  Jim was able to come down off the stand and sit by me for the fireside as it was a family therapist, and she was down in front with all the singles and it was more of a huge discussion, which got very lively as they dealt with singles issues, older men hitting on younger women being one interesting topic. 

Well, my time is up.  I can’t promise much next week as we are at the library every day from 8 am till they close at 9.  But you can never be sure.  Who knows what mystery we may unravel?   If I can find where my Eveness family originated, you may actually hear me.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. So, actually, you did find a couple of turkeys in the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Aubrey. That was hilarious and absolutely perfectly true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just called me a turkey!!!!! How rude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LeAnn, I hacked onto your blog. Just kidding, its public so I more went to Darren and Richelle's blog and then clicked on the link. I have some pictures I want to send you from the wedding, also I have a blog but its private (cute little naked bums, you know) so send me an email and I will send you an invite! Love, Shauna (you know, Richelle's sister- the older one, the only one with brown eyes (how did I end up with that deal?). Oh, I know, Richelle's sister who has the cute kids, its what defines me as of late. pixie418@juno.com

    ReplyDelete