Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tender Mercies

DSC_0014

This past Friday night, Jamie and Marci had their yearly flute recital – and I actually tried to see if I could get a 20-second clip of each of them onto this blog, but as you can see, I didn’t get very far.  Anyone can handle 20 seconds – it’s the two-hour recital you may feel fortunate you didn’t need to attend.  One girl’s song was 13 MINUTES long.  Jim started timing each piece -- It seemed to take his attention away from a certain troubled area of his anatomy.  Well, this afternoon they went to flute lessons at 1:30, where they each have an hour lesson.  Their teacher, then drives the girls to a church for the flute choir rehearsal  which they have  once a week from 4:30 to 5:30.  The building is locked up tight and their teacher has a key and the girls have to be let in with the door locked behind them.  When they finish choir, there are usually a few girls that poke along putting their stuff away and it takes awhile to get out of there.  But tonight for the first time, they all packed up quickly and even Devin was there to pick them up on time as Jim and I were at the temple.  As their teacher left and was driving away to take one of the girls home, she passed a bunch of police cars and emergency vehicles with their sirens screaming going the way she had just come.  The news just reported that a man inside the same church we’d just left had shot and killed a woman minutes after the girls all left.  The woman hasn’t been identified yet, but it’s possible they were there for counseling and the man was her husband.  I, for one, am very grateful that the girls weren’t still in the building like they usually would’ve been.

3 comments:

  1. I just need to make a small clarification. LeAnn mentioned that I was trying to keep my mind off a certain area of my anatomy. She was talking about a sore bottom and not about me having to go to the bathroom. Just wanted to let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After having read the blog above this one on Nathan I was enjoying the blogging skills of my fine mother, I then reached this travesty of a post. Not only did it contain slanderous statements that insinuated that the girls were always out before me (I generally have to wait five to ten minutes) but it also seemed as if Mom and Dad were the ones that usually waited for the girls there but couldn't this time as they were at the temple. The only thing that would have changed today if they had been home is Mom would have been told me an hour and a half later to pick up the girls. I guess I can forgive this once, but it is a large pill to swallow.

    ReplyDelete